Tag Archives: bank

Unit Block McAllister

Unit-Block-McAllister-

“Unit Block McAllister” (2007 Survey)

(349/8) 60 Leavenworth; Classic Apartments. Storefronts and apartment building with sixty-eight rooms and twenty-eight baths. 4B stories; brick structure; galvanized iron cornice and three-story bay windows; two-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: terrazzo steps, marble walls with aedicules, cornice molding; lobby: wainscoting, beamed ceiling, cornice molding; storefronts: bulkheads, vestibules, angled display windows. Alterations: security gate (artistic work added after period of significance), aluminum windows, storefronts completely remodeled. Original owner: Grimm. Architect: T. Paterson Ross. 1923.

(349/6) 54 McAllister Street; Dorothy Day Community. Apartment building; 8 stories; built after 1984. Site of Colonial Theater.

(349/4) 36-44 McAllister Street; Civic Center Residence. 1922.

(349/1) 1 Jones Street; Hibernia Bank Building. 1892.

The massive granite structure on the right is the UN Plaza Federal Building.

President_1948-
Source: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library (Photo: Tom Gray)

President Theater, 1948. First opened as the Colonial in 1905 (rebuilt 1906), the theater’s name changed over the years to the Savoy, Oriental, Plaza, and President, its final incarnation. Following the theater’s demolition, it was replaced by the Dorothy Day Community, housing for seniors. The President was one of several venues in the Tenderloin district that at different times featured live theatrical performances; others were the Larkin Theater at 816 Larkin, the Tivoli Opera House on Eddy Street, and the Casino Theater at Ellis and Mason. The Larkin Theater (renamed the New Century) is the only one that remains. The Number 5 streetcar line was replaced in 1949 by the 5 Fulton trolley line.

Colonial-Theater_nd-
Source: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

Colonial Theater, undated.

Savoy, circa 1911
Source: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

Savoy Theater, circa 1911.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Tenderloin

Fallen from Grace

Fallen-from-Grace-

“Fallen from Grace” (2009)

Hibernia Bank Building. 1 Jones Street.

The Hibernia Bank was first organized in April 1859, in a little office at the corner of Jackson and Montgomery. Among the first depositors were Irish miners who had struck pay dirt in the California goldfields to the north. The Hibernia Bank accepted the miners’ unminted gold and earned a reputation among them for courteous and efficient transactions, and eventually became known as “the people’s bank.” Business increased apace and before long the bank moved to more spacious quarters at Montgomery and Post, but the institution’s extraordinary growth over the next two decades eventually demanded another change.

It was a fateful day when the Hibernia’s directors hired a relatively unknown architect named Albert Pissis (pie-sis) to design a new building at the corner of McAllister and Jones. Completed in 1892, the Hibernia Bank Building captured the hearts of San Franciscans and ensured the fame of Albert Pissis, whose work would change the face of San Francisco in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Architect and Engineer reflected in 1909 that

. . . the (Hibernia Bank) became famous at once and marked an epoch in San Francisco architecture and placed its designer in the forefront of his profession, where he has remained ever since.

Indeed, so famous was the building and so beloved by San Franciscans that they called it “The Paragon.” The Hibernia Bank was one of the few buildings in the central city to survive the 1906 cataclysm, although it was damaged by the fire. As one of the City’s most popular and vital institutions, it was also one of the very first buildings to be restored.

Market & Jones, 1891
Source: San Francisco History Center, S.F. Public Library

Market and Jones, 1891. Dominating the photograph is the Murphy Building, home of Prager’s Dry Goods; on the left is the Hibernia Bank Building, still under construction.

Artists'-Choice_15sep1892
Source: California Digital Newspaper Collection

Illustration, San Francisco Call, 15 September 1892. Shortly after the new bank building was completed, the San Francisco Call asked twenty San Francisco artists, “From an artistic point which building do you think the best?” Fourteen of the artists named the Hibernia Bank Building; the Mills Building came in a distant second with four votes, followed by the Crocker and Mutual Life Buildings with one vote apiece. The results of the poll were published in an article that declared the Hibernia Bank was “The Most Artistic Building in Town.”

Hibernia

“Hibernia” (2003)

After it was vacated by the Hibernia Savings and Loan Company, the building served as headquarters for the San Francisco Police Department Tenderloin Task Force until the new Tenderloin Station was finally completed in 2000. An out-of-town speculator then bought the building and left it empty and unmaintained. This prominent landmark, which should be a proud San Francisco showpiece, has for years been a focal point of neighborhood blight.

Hibernia-after-fire_1906
Source: Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley

After the fire, 1906. The pile of rubble in the foreground is all that remained of the Callaghan Building; on the right are the ruins of the Murphy Building.

Hibernia---after-the-fire
Source: Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley

Fire-damaged Hibernia Bank, 1906. When this photo was taken, restoration of the bank building had just begun. The original copper dome had melted in the intense heat of the fire.

Hibernia-Guards_06-
Source: Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley

Officers and employees of the Hibernia Bank, 1906. Clearly none with whom to trifle, these gentlemen protected the Hibernia’s compromised bank vaults during the height of the fire.

Hibernia-Reopening_06-
Source: Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley

Opening Day, 25 May 1906. Just five weeks after the fire, while the building’s restoration was still in progress and before much of the City’s reconstruction had even begun, the Hibernia reopened to five-block-long lines of depositors in desperate need of funds.

Hibernia-Grillwork-

“Hibernia Grillwork” (2006)

The Hibernia Bank Building holds an unparalleled place in San Francisco history. It is truly an architectural treasure, but one that has been sadly forgotten, and thus the building’s exterior has suffered greatly from years of neglect and abuse. Near the end of 2008, the building was purchased for $3.9 million by Seamus Naughten, who also owns the old KGO-TV building on Golden Gate Avenue. More than two years later, the building continues to rot and its future remains uncertain.

Hibernia-Dome-

“Hibernia Dome and Balustrade” (2007)

2 Comments

Filed under Mid-Market, Tenderloin