Tag Archives: apartment building

Lower Turk

Lower-Turk-

“Lower Turk” (2007 Survey)

(339/9) 162-166 Turk Street; El Rosa Hotel, Helen Hotel (1985). 1906.

(339/8) 150 Turk Street; Star Garage. 2B stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade with galvanized iron column order, swags at ground level, and huge elliptical fanlight; composition: enframed window wall; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation. Alterations: none. Original owner: Harry R. Bogart 1921. Architect: Joseph L. Stewart. 1921.

(339/7) 136-140 Turk Street; The Earle Lodgings, Boston Hotel (1907). Lodging house with forty-one rooms and two baths. 3B stories; brick structure with stucco facade; blue and gold tile storefront, galvanized iron cornice; two-part commercial composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; tile vestibule; lobby: stair landing with remodeled finishes. Alterations: “Blue and Gold” letters removed from storefront; former tenant: Blue and Gold Bar (1983), now San Francisco Rescue Mission (2007). Original owner: Mrs. Alicia McCone. Architect: Charles M. Rousseau. 1907.

(339/6) 130-134 Turk Street. Store and restaurant, converted to lodging house by 1981 with eighty-two rooms (possibly cribs) and five baths. 3B stories; reinforced concrete with stucco facade; facade scored like stone masonry, galvanized iron cornice; two-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; alterations: belt course over ground level removed, windows boarded up, storefront. Original owner: Emma Dixon. Architect unknown. 1923.

(339/5) 124-126 Turk Street; Hotel Portola, Marathon Hotel, Lowell Hotel, Argue Hotel, Camelot Hotel. Rooming house with fifty-seven rooms and thirty-two baths. 6B stories; faded painted sign on upper west wall for “Hotel Portola . . . Rooms . . .”. Alterations: windows replaced with aluminum and all ornament and finishes except decorative iron fire escape on facade altered since 1983. Architect: Albert Farr. 1907.

(339/4) 116-120 Turk Street; The Elite lodgings, Hotel Holly, Porter Hotel, Youth Hostel Centrale. Rooming house with twenty-six rooms and six baths. 3B stories; brick structure with glazed brick facade; terra cotta wreath over entry and galvanized iron trim and cornice; 2-part commercial composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: mosaic floor with “116”; lobby: stair landing with cornice molding. Alterations: storefront; former tenant: Port Hole Bar. Original owner: Mary A. Deming. Architect: E.A. Hermann. 1910.

(339/3) 101-121 Turk Street;) Hotel Hyland (1907, Hotel Young (1908), Hotel Empire (1911), Chapin Hotel (1920), Hotel Raford (1923), Tyland Hotel. Stores and rooming house with 115 rooms and fifty baths. 4B stories; brick structure; stucco facade, moldings, cartouches, bosses, beltcourses; three-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation. Alterations: ground level, storefronts, vestibule, aluminum windows, cornice removed. Site of 1966 Compton Riot at Compton’s Cafeteria, first documented U.S. riot by gay and transgender men and women against police. Original owner: Woodward Investment Company. Architect: A.M. Edelman. 1907.

(340/12) 108-120 Taylor Street; St. Ann Hotel, Hotel Lennox, Bard Hotel, Notel Winfield, Hotel Warfield (1923). 1907.

Interspersed among the Tenderloin’s densely-packed residential buildings are various commercial buildings designed to serve residents’ needs, mainly stores and auto repair and parking garages. There are also churches, union halls, a YMCA, a theater, and film exchange buildings.

Lower-Turk-Street_1920
Source: California State Library

Lower Turk, 1920. Note the glass-paned marquee over the entrance to the Camelot Hotel.

Port-Hole_1942
Source: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

The Port Hole, 1942. Newscopy: “The Port Hole, 126 Turk Street, provides its patrons with song and rhythm de luxe. Above are (left to right) Bud Seghiari, ‘groan box’ artist extraordinary; Evelyn Thompson, Sadie Shipley and Judy Blair (seated on the piano), mistresses of song; Dave Olson at the piano and Larry Duran with guitar.”

In 1948 the Port Hole moved to the first block of Mason Street, where it continued to operate into the 1950s. During the years that Treasure Island was an active US Navy base, the Tenderloin bars favored by on-leave sailors were the Port Hole, the Blue and Gold at 136 Turk, and the Coral Sea at 220 Turk.

165-Turk

“165 Turk” (2007)

(343/17) 161-165 Turk Street; El Crest Apartments, 165 Turk Street Apartments. Twenty-one two- and three-room apartments. 6B stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade; two-part vertical composition; Spanish Gothic ornamentation; vestibule: tile floor, paneled walls, cornice moldings; storefront: largely intact including vestibule with tile floor. Alterations: aluminum windows. Original owner: F.W. Hess. Designer: James H. Hjul, engineer. 1923.

The former El Crest Apartments are now owned and operated by the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation. The storefront at 161 Turk Street (renumbered 165) was formerly the Record Exchange, home of Bill Melander’s world-famous record collection.

Record Exchange
Source: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

The Record Exchange, 1947.

Bill-Melander-
Source: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

William “Pops” Melander, 1947.

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under Tenderloin

Metropolitan

Roosevelt-Garage-

“Roosevelt Garage” (2011)

(339/15) 265 Eddy Street; Metropolitan Garage, Roosevelt Garage (1983). 400 car parking garage. 4 stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco and cast concrete facade, buttresses, decorative spandrel panels, peaked windows, belt course, cove cornice; three-part vertical composition; Gothic ornamentation; blade sign with metal armature covered by plywood. Alterations: sign altered. Original owner: Joseph Pasqualetti of American Concrete Company. Architect: Henry Clay Smith. 1924.

(339/15A) 245-253 Eddy Street; Standard Apartments, Harriman Apartments. Apartment building with fifty-four two-room units. 6B stories; steel and reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade with arched entry, belt course, cornice; two-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: vaulted space with marble floor; lobby: pilaster order, marble floor. Alterations: security gate, aluminum windows, storefronts partly remodeled, aluminum replacement door. Owners: William Helbing Company (1924), Fay Hong Wong, Yick Fun Wong, and Jun Lee Wong (1982), Aspen Group (1983). Architects: William Helbing Company (1924), George Miers (1983). 1924-1925.

Known as “the hillside architect” for his signature talent of siting buildings in San Francisco’s hilly terrain, Henry Clay Smith also designed two buildings in the Tenderloin: the Metropolitan/Roosevelt Garage on Eddy Street and the Bernard Apartments at 222 Leavenworth.

Leave a comment

Filed under Tenderloin

Eagle Apartments

Eagle-Apartments-

“Eagle Apartments” (2011)

(336/16) 545 Eddy Street; garage. 2B stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade, decorative belt courses and window moldings, raised parapet at center; two-part commercial composition; Byzantine ornamentation. Alterations: steel roll-up doors. Original owner: Bell Brothers. Architect: attributed to E.H. Denke. 1920.

(336/15) 555 Eddy Street; Eagle Apartments, Palisade Apartments. Stores and apartment building with thirty two- and three-room units. 4B stories; brick structure; flat arches over windows, balconies in upper level, galvanized iron cornice; three-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: entry with pilaster order, marble wainscoting, paneled walls, coffered ceiling; lobby: paneled wainscoting, picture and cornice moldings. Alterations: security gate, aluminum door. Original owner: Samuel Dusenbury. Architect: O’Brien Brothers. 1910.

Leave a comment

Filed under Tenderloin

Mayflower Apartments

Mayflower

“Mayflower” (2011)

(336/14B) 575 Eddy Street; Mayflower Apartments. Apartment building with forty-nine two- and three-room units, garage. 6B stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade, five-story bay windows connected by balconies, raised parapets over bay windows; two-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: arched entry, marble steps, vaulted ceiling. Alterations: security gate. Builder and owner: E.V. Lacey. 1924.

Sadly, the view from the Mayflower is fouled by a hideous PG and E substation at Larkin and Eddy.

Leave a comment

Filed under Tenderloin