(337/6) 201-219 Leavenworth Street; Kenyon Hotel (1916), Hotel DeWalt, Hotel Hurley (1982). 6B stories; steel frame and reinforced brick structure; five-story galvanized iron bay windows, balconies and cornice; three-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: tile floor, paneled walls, cornice molding; storefronts: transoms mostly intact including prism glass on Turk Street; marquee, neon blade sign at corner: “Hotel Hurley”. Alterations: security gate and grilles, storefronts remodeled below transoms. Original owner: W.F. Roeder, wine and liquor markets. Engineer: Albert W. Burgren. 1914.
Both singular and spooky, the dark-violet neon tubing of the Hurley’s blade sign is somewhat difficult to read from down the street, but it complements the sepulchral colors of the building very nicely.