“Golden Era” (2007 Survey)
(318/12) 570-572 O’Farrell Street; Hotel Stratton, Sweden House Hotel (2007). Rooming house with forty-two-rooms and ten baths. 3B stories; brick structure; terra cotta trim, quoins, galvanized iron brackets, beltcourse and cornice; two-part commercial composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: arched entry with keystone. Alterations: security gate and grilles, balcony removed, storefronts. Original owner: Ernest Brand. Builder: J.D. Harmer Construction Company. 1907.
(318/9) 550-560 O’Farrell Street; Abbey Garage. 2B stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade, gargoyles, buttress piers, decorative frieze, balcony; Gothic ornamentation. Alterations: aluminum windows. Original owner: Mt. Olivet Cemetery Association. Architect: W.H. Crim, Jr. 1924.
(318/8) 540 O’Farrell Street; Farallone Apartments. Apartment building with thirty-six two- and three-room units. 6B stories; reinforced concrete structure; stucco facade, griffins-supported balcony, five-story bay windows, decorative friezes, crenellated cornice; three-part vertical composition; Gothic ornamentation; vestibule: pointed arch, marble steps, scored walls, hanging lamp. Alterations: security gate. Original owner: Carl H. Peterson, contractor. Architect: August G. Headman. 1922.
(318/7) 502-530 O’Farrell Street; Hotel Shawmut, Marymount Hotel (1913), Coast Hotel (2007). Stores and mid-priced hotel with 140 rooms and eighty-three baths. 6B stories; brick structure; terra cotta trim, rusticated second level with decorative brick bands and arches, iron balconies and cornice; three-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: bracketed marquee; storefronts: some with decorative iron muntins. Alterations: security grilles, vestibule, corner storefront. Original owner: Mrs. Alice Pease, widow Nelson L. Pease of Central Pacific Railroad. Architect: L.B. Dutton. 1912.
The name of the vegetarian restaurant in the lower level of the Sweden House Hotel is also an apt name for the time in San Francisco history during which the Tenderloin was entirely rebuilt.