(349/4) 36-44 McAllister Street; Salvation Army Girls Hotel, Young Women’s Boarding Home of the Salvation Army, the Evangeline. Rooming house with 211 rooms and fourteen baths. 8B stories; reinforced concrete structure; scored stucco facade with end bays surmounted by Salvation Army symbols; three-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: pilaster order at entry. Alterations: ground level mostly remodeled, aluminum windows, cornice removed. Original owner: Salvation Army. Architect: Norman R. Coulter. 1922.
Built “for working girls employed at a small wage” by The Salvation Army, the Evangeline has been renamed the Civic Center Residence by its current owner, the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation.
Postcard, circa 1930.