“Sierra Madre” (2007)
(322/2) 419–421 Leavenworth Street; Calvin Apartments (1914), August Apartments (1922), Gibson Apartments (1929), Sierra Madre Apartments (1998). Apartment building with forty-eight two- and three-room units. 5B stories; steel frame and reinforced brick structure; terra cotta trim, four-story bay windows, cornice, stepped and gabled parapet, decorative brick facade; two-part vertical composition; Renaissance/Baroque ornamentation; vestibule: arched entry with cartouche, red tile floor, decorative iron doorway; lobby: balcony with arcade, red tiled floor; alterations: security gate; other: art tile panels added to street levels circa 2000. Original owner: Calvin E. Knickerbocker, real estate. Architects: Rousseau and Rousseau. 1913.
Of the various architectural firms involved in rebuilding the Tenderloin, Rousseau and Rousseau numbers among those that had pre-existing relationships with Tenderloin property owners, and in some cases with the contractors or builders as well. The architects in these partnerships produced more buildings than those working in the traditional way, and the most prolific among them were John C. Hladik, H.C. Baumann, Albert Schroepfer, A.W. Burgren, C.O. Clausen, and the O’Brien Brothers, each contributing to the district between seven and fifteen buildings, topped by Rousseau and Rousseau with seventeen buildings.