(319/23) 765 Geary Street; MacBeth Apartments (1916), Rossmoor Apartments (1937). Apartment building with forty-eight one-, two- and three-room units. 4B stories; brick structure; belt course, window frames; patterned brick facade with painted terra cotta trim, angel-head cornice; three-part vertical composition; Spanish Renaissance ornamentation; vestibule: terra cotta entry, marble steps and walls, cornice molding, wood and glass door with decorative iron; octagonal lobby with pilaster order; signs: marble panel over entry: “Rossmoor”; alterations: security gate. Original owner: McKinnon Company. Architect: Charles Peter Weeks. 1911.
Rebuilt as the Rossmoor following a deadly fire in the mid-30s, the Macbeth was one of the first studio or efficiency apartment buildings in San Francisco, if not the United States. Designed by Charles Peter Weeks, it was an idea whose time had come, reflecting a shift in the housing market from hotels to apartments and proving itself to be ideally suited for Tenderloin apartment dwellers. Also designed by Weeks were the Hotel Aldrich at 439 Jones, stores at 480 O’Farrell, and the Hotel Hacienda (now Vantaggio Suites) at 580 O’Farrell.